- Blue Mountains
- Blue Mountains Jenolan Caves Tours: Lucas Cave
1 Key Facts
- Guided tour of Lucas Cave
- 1. Transport from/to hotels
- 2. Food & beverages not listed as Inclusions
- 3. Souvenirs
- 4. Travel Insurance
|Address||4655 Jenolan Caves Road, Jenolan Caves NSW 2790|
|How to get there||● By Public Transport
There is no easy access public transport directly to Jenolan Caves. Most visitors drive or arrive on a coach tour. If you do not drive, please book one of our day tours to Jenolan Caves.
● By Car
Travel time varies, depending on where you start, and also on delays and stops that you might make along the way. Generally, if you take the fastest route, and you do not stop or experience delays, it takes approximately 3 hours from Sydney Airport to Jenolan Caves. It takes 2.5 hours from Parramatta, 1.25 hours from Katoomba, 1 hour from Bathurst and 3 hours from Canberra.
If you are following a GPS or Google maps, their timings are often inaccurate. Allow an extra half an hour on top of its estimated arrival time.
Fuel is NOT available at Jenolan. The closest fuel is available at Oberon (30km) or Mt Victoria (55km). Please plan to buy fuel on your way to the caves.
|Check-in requirements||Please ensure you arrive at the meeting point /departure point at least 30 minutes before your scheduled departure time to allow enough time to check in. On school holidays or long weekends/public holidays, you may need to arrive up to an hour early. Regrettably, failure to arrive before this time will most likely be classified as no-show and result in forfeiting the booking and it cannot be refunded or transferred.
If you are not familiar with the area or travelling on a weekend or local public holidays / school holidays, please make sure you've checked your timetable or driving route beforehand, and allow extra travelling time for unexpected delays to ensure you do not miss your check in
|What to bring/wear||● Wear comfortable, non-slip walking shoes. High-heels and 'flip-flops' are unsuitable.
● Do not overdress. It is 15 degrees Celcius in the cave, all year.
● Water bottle, Snacks
● Money / credit card for optional purchases
|Other info||【Important Post-Covid Service Information】
- If you feel unwell, please remain at home and get tested.
- Please bring your own sanitation supplies, and practice good hygiene.
- Please wear a face mask.
- For contact tracing, the Service Provider will record your details, and retain them for 28 days.
- Please provide names and contact details of all members of your group, at Covid-19 check-in, either at reception or at Chisolm's restaurant upon arrival.
● Fitness level: harder
● Stair steps: 910
● Length: 860 metres
● When you book more than 1 cave tour, leave at least 30 minutes between, in case of delays.
● This cave tour is an all weather activity.
● Use the public toilets, before joining your cave tour, as there are no toilets inside any of the caves.
● On any cave tour, please:
- Listen carefully to your tour guide, and obey all instructions.
- Do not stray from your tour group, even if your have your own light.
- Do not touch any rock or crystal, as the invisible oil on your skin permanently damages the irreplaceable cave crystal.
- Do not smoke, as fumes damage the cave crystal.
- Do not eat or drink, as food particles attract life forms, such as animals, birds, bacteria and fungi, which are foreign to the caves and harm the fragile environment. You may take a bottle of water with you.
- Do not litter. Please use the rubbish bins in the Grand Arch and near the Guides Office.
- When you aim your camera flash in the dark, please consider other visitors' eyes.
- Cameras are welcome. However, do not bring a camera tripod or a selfie stick into any cave, other than the Grand Arch or the Devil's Coach House cave.
- Do not bring baby prams, camera tripods, monopods, selfie sticks.
- Baby backpacks are not recommend - front carriers are safer.
● Above ground, to help protect the environment and for your own safety:
- Do not feed native animals and birds, as they can become sick from food that is not part of their natural diet.
- As Jenolan Caves is part of a huge nature reserve, birds and animals wander freely, in their natural habitat around the caves. They are wonderful to watch. However, the Service Provider does not 'own' them, and they are NOT TAME. If you approach, touch or feed them, no responsibility are accepted if you are bitten or otherwise injured.
- Do not bring pets to Jenolan.
- Put all your litter in rubbish bins, or take it away with you.
- Do not climb on any rocks in or around the caves or the hotel.
- When bush walking, stay on marked paths.
● To ensure that you enjoy your Jenolan visit:
- Use the public toilets, before joining your cave tour, as there are no toilets inside any of the caves.
- Park your vehicle in the designated car parks only.
- Allow sufficient time to do your selected cave tour plus the complimentary self-guided tour of the Devil's Coach House Cave/Nettle Cave.
- Check the signboard opposite the Guides Office, for special events and other announcements.
[Blue Mountains Jenolan Caves Tours] Lucas Cave
Biggest chambers! An awe-inspiring cave, containing the highest and largest chambers. See one of the most photographed features - The Broken Column - and get a tantalising glimpse of the underground river.
This spectacular cave includes the most photographed limestone formation at Jenolan, 'The Broken Column' and displays a wide range of huge cave formations. If you have time to visit only one cave, the Lucas is one of the most amazing, offering variety, the highest and widest caverns plus a glimpse of the pure underground river.
Visitors walk several flights of stairs to gain access to the Lucas cave. But once inside, the walk becomes less strenuous. There are many rest stops where you can enjoy fantastic sights. If you have mobility difficulties, it is recommended you view one of the easier caves.
The Lucas Cave's highest chamber, 'The Cathedral' (54 metres high), is often used as a unique wedding venue. This awesome chamber is reputed to have the best acoustics of any performance space in the world.
- Cave Length: 860 metres
- Average tour size: 60 people
- Stair steps: 910 (including 252 stair steps to the cave entrance)
- Maximum Tour size: 60 people
- Fitness level: harder
Visitors walk several flights of stairs to gain access to the Lucas cave. But once inside, the walk becomes less strenuous.
- There are many rest stops where you can enjoy fantastic sights. If you have mobility difficulties, it is recommended you view one of the easier caves.
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.