- Cockington Green Gardens Admission and Miniature Steam Train Ride
1 Key Facts
- 1. Day Entry to Cockington Green Gardens
- 2. A Ride on the Miniature Steam Train
- 1. Transport from/to hotels
- 2. Food & beverages not listed as Inclusions
- 3. Souvenirs
- 4. Travel Insurance
|Address||11 Gold Creek Road, Nicholls ACT 2913 Australia|
|How to get there||● By Car
Located approximately 12km north of Canberra City Centre, takes about 15mins; approximately 280km south of Sydney Airport, takes about 3 hours 30 minutes;
- Free Onsite parking available
● By Public Transport
The closest Bus Stop is O'Hanlon Pl before Gold Creek Rd Station
Please check the Transport Canberra timetables (https://www.transport.act.gov.au/) for more details to plan your trip.
|What to bring/wear||● Appropriate clothing for all weather conditions, eg. jacket for cooler months.
● Comfortable enclosed walking shoes
● Protective clothing, hat, sunscreen lotion, and sunglasses
● Water bottle and Snacks
● Umbrella / raincoat if rains
● Insect repellent
● Money / credit card for optional purchases
|Other info||【Important Post-Covid Service Information】
- You should not visit if you or anyone in your household have any symptoms of COVID 19 (such as fever or new and/or regular coughs).
- If you feel unwell during your visit, locate and inform a staff member.
- Visitors asked if they are signed up to Australian Government COVID Safe App.
- Visitors not on Australian Government COVID Safe App requested to provide contact information.
- Walking only in the display (no running).
- Contactless retail transactions.
● All children must be accompanied by an adult.
● In the event of extreme weather conditions, the display may be closed. Refunds are not offered for visitation during inclement weather.
● Cockington Green has a smoke-free policy throughout the park although a designated outdoor area is available for smokers.
● Cockington Green gardens is a fully wheelchair, pram/stroller and walker accessible display. There is a separate accessibility entrance which is located to the side of the main ticket door entrance.
● Bikes, scooter, skateboards, wagons, roller skates/blades or alike are not allowed into the display.
● Remain on Pathways: The display pathways are bordered by rocks and floral gardens - please respect these boundaries. Do not step over or lift children over the rock borders and gardens onto any parts of the display to get that special photo. The pathway rock borders are there to protect the display and keep visitors safe. Any visitors caught breaking this rule will be asked to leave with no refunds given.
● The entry of pets/animals into the display is strictly forbidden. Genuine Assistance dogs will be allowed entry.
Cockington Green Gardens Admission and Miniature Steam Train Ride
Cockington Green Gardens is one of Canberra's premier privately owned and operated tourist attractions. Since opening in 1979, Cockington Green Gardens has delighted visitors young and old. Experience family fun at one of Australia's most charming and unusual tourist attractions. Venture into the fascinating display of meticulously crafted miniature buildings currently featuring 30 different countries, set within beautifully landscaped gardens. Then complete your visit by taking a ride on the ever popular Miniature Steam Train.
Other features include: a licensed Garden Café, free gas barbeques, picnic and playground area.
MINIATURE STEAM TRAIN
One of the most popular attractions at Cockington Green Gardens is the Miniature Steam Train Ride!
The train was specially made for Cockington Green Gardens and is a half size replica of a Fowler Cane Loco and operates on a 12″ gauge track with a drive configuration of 040. Originally fuelled by coal, the miniature steam train was converted to run on gas and is believed to be the only one of it's kind. Being more environmentally friendly this wonderful little train can seat up to twenty people at one time, with each ride consisting of two laps around the track. Offering an elevated perspective, the train ride can be enjoyed by people of all ages whilst absorbing the beautiful scenic surrounds of the International Area and picnic grounds.
Whilst wondering through the gardens you will also come across a variety of scale miniature trains.
The inter-city 125 electric train was constructed from plans supplied by British Rail. The process of constructing this train was quite involved and took many months. Firstly, a solid timber mould was made followed by a second mould of fibreglass. The train is powered by a 12 volt DC transformer running two 12-volt wheelchair motors, and controlled by a press and release button adjacent to the Station.
Have you ever wanted to be a train driver! Venture into the International display and you will find the 'G' scale garden railway of locomotives and rolling stock. From a specially designed operational point, visitors have the opportunity to drive the trains around the duel tracks. You could be in control of anything from an Old Loco to a Bullet Train. Fun for kids… of all ages!
- ½ Scale Replica of the Fowler 040 Cane Loco
- 12" Gauge
- 35-40 Horse Power
- LPG Fired (was Briquettes & Wood)
- Built by Ross Bishop, Sydney
- Maintained by Ken Ainsworth of Goulburn
- Locomotive weight approx. 300kg
- Maximum capacity 35 Children
- Complete Track Length 206 Metres
- Made by Stan Hennock
- Ride Length 412 Metres, approx. 5 minutes
- Distance travelled per year approx. 3000km
- Original Colour was Green
- Age approx. 30 years (2017)
- Steam Valve system is Walschaerts
TRAIN RUNNING SCHEDULE*
*Trains will operate continuously in peak periods.
*Train rides are subject to weather conditions.
Created by Doug & Brenda Sarah Cockington Green Gardens is a family owned and operated attraction, with four generations involved in it's operation over the past 39 years.
Venture into this delightful and fascinating display of meticulously crafted miniature buildings set within beautifully landscaped gardens to make your Canberra visit complete.
● If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. ● If you cancel between 0 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee. ● If no show, no refund.