- Melbourne, Phillip Island
- Phillip Island Nature Parks Penguins Plus Close Up Viewing
1 Key Facts
- Close up viewing at Penguin Parade
- 1. Transport from/to hotel
- 2. Food & beverages not listed as Inclusions
- 3. Souvenirs
- 4. Travel Insurance
|Destination||Melbourne, Phillip Island|
|Address||Penguin Parade/Nobbies Centre/Antarctic Journey: 1019 Ventnor Rd, Summerlands VIC 3922 Koala Conservation Centre: 1810 Phillip Island Rd, Phillip Island VIC 3923 Churchill Island Heritage Farm: 246 Samuel Amess Dr, Churchill Island VIC 3925|
|How to get there||By Car -
Phillip Island is located 90 minutes drive from Melbourne. Allow a further 20 minutes from the bridge to get to the Penguin Parade. Free car parking on site.
By Bus -
Public transport is limited on Phillip Island. V-line operates a bus to Phillip Island’s main town, Cowes, from Southern Cross Station in Melbourne city. Please note that the V-line bus does not go to the Penguin Parade and there are no return buses to Melbourne at the conclusion of the Penguin Parade.
|Check-in requirements||Penguins Plus ticket holders should plan to arrive at least 1 hour before penguin arrival time.|
|What to bring/wear||The Penguin Parade is at sunset and outside. We suggest you bring warm clothes and a rain coat if it looks like rain. A rug to sit on the seats is also handy. Please note – unfortunately cameras or camcorders cannot be used at the Penguin Parade.|
|Other info||【Important Post-Covid Service Information】
Please refer to https://penguins.org.au/ for the latest updates during the post-Covid period.
● Video and photography is not permitted at the Penguin Parade or any of the penguin viewing options.
● The Penguin Parade occurs every evening at sunset for duration of 1 hour. Visitors must arrive at the visitor centre before the Penguins cross the beach, however to experience all the activities and attractions on offer it is recommended that you arrive 1-2 hours before sunset.
● The penguins are wild birds. Numbers and arrival times will vary with the life-cycle activity and weather.
● Penguin Arrival Time (Guideline Only)
April: 19:00 (Daylight Saving Time) / 18:00 (Non-Day Light Saving Time)
October: 18:45 (Non-Day Light Saving Time) / 19:45 (Daylight Saving Time)
Penguins Plus Close Up Viewing
Penguins Plus Close Up Viewing
The Penguins Plus viewing platform is a joint venture between Phillip Island Nature Parks and RACV and offers visitors unprecedented, up-close viewing of the little penguins as they waddle along the most popular pathway at the Penguin Parade.
*Please book ahead during the holiday season as many penguin viewing options book out well in advance.
Phillip Island Nature Parks
Phillip Island is part of the UNESCO Western Port Biosphere Reserve and encompasses wildlife sanctuaries, wetlands, woodlands and breathtaking coastlines which are protected and managed by world-renowned environmental and research programs. Habitat within Phillip Island Nature Parks supports significant populations of little penguins, hooded plovers, short-tailed shearwaters and other international migratory bird species, and mammals such as koalas, possums, wallabies, Australian fur seals and bats.
- Little penguins are the smallest of the 17 penguin species and the only penguin that lives permanently in Australia.
- There are approximately 32,000 breeding penguins on Phillip Island.
- The first tourists visited the Penguin Parade in the 1920s.
- In 1955 the State Goverment established a large reserve over the penguin colony.
- The Little Penguin Scientific Advisory Committee was formed in 1966 and penguin counts and research programmes began.
- The Phillip Island Nature Parks were established in 1996.
Only 90 minutes from Melbourne, Phillip Island features spectacular coastal scenery and plenty of Australian wildlife.
Phillip Island is a not-for-profit organisation. Revenue raised contributes to research, environment and education projects.
Mating and Egg laying from August to November. Chick feeding in December and January. Moulting from February to April. Nest building from May to July.
Experience the magic of little penguins returning home at sunset to one of the largest penguin colonies in Australia
Visitor Centre. Currently under upgrading. New Visitor Centre for the Penguin Parade is due to be completed in late 2019
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 0 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee. If no show, no refund.